Patient’s Guide To Children’s Oral Health
At Hubbard & Leath Dental, we’re proud to offer family dentistry in Rochester Hills, MI and surrounding areas. We’re passionate about helping you care for your child’s teeth and ensure they’re on the right track with healthy adult teeth and great overall health.
But good oral health in children starts the minute they get their very first tooth. Are you prepared to teach them all there is to know about caring for their teeth?
Caring For Your Child’s Teeth
As a parent, there’s a lot you can do to take care of your child’s teeth until they’re old enough to do so on their own. To help protect your child’s teeth and gums and lower their risk of getting a cavity, teach your kids the following simple oral health steps:
- Brush teeth twice a day with a toothpaste approved by the ADA (look for the ADA seal) to remove food debris and plaque that has built up on the teeth with the potential to cause tooth decay
- Floss daily to remove plaque from in between the teeth and under the gumline. Without flossing, that plaque can harden into tartar. Once tartar has formed, the only way to remove it is a professional cleaning.
- Eat a well-balanced diet low in starchy or sugary foods. These foods can create plaque acids that cause tooth decay. When these foods are eaten, it’s best to eat them with a meal, instead of as a stand-alone snack because the extra saliva produced during a meal helps clean your mouth.
- Use dental products, like toothpaste, that contain fluoride.
- Drink water with fluoride. If your water supply doesn’t contain fluoride, we may be able to prescribe fluoride supplements.
- Bring your child to our Rochester Hills, MI dental office for regular checkups.
Help Your Child Brush Their Teeth The Right Way
When teaching your child to properly brush their teeth, it’s important to watch over them while they get the hang of the habit.
Guide them to use just a pea-sized amount of ADA-approved, fluoride toothpaste but remind them that they’re not supposed to swallow it. With a soft-bristled toothbrush, they should brush the inside surface of each of their teeth first, because that’s where plaque tends to build up the most. Use gentle back and forth movements to brush the surface.
Then, clean the outer surfaces of each tooth by angling the brush along the gumline. Use gentle back and forth movements to brush your teeth.
Next, brush the chewing surface of each tooth with gentle back and forth movements. Then use the tip of the brush to clean behind each of your front teeth, both top and bottom. Finally, finish by brushing your tongue!
Child’s First Dentist Appointment
At Hubbard & Leath Dental, we see kids as young as two years old for their first dental exam and cleaning. When you visit our Rochester Hills, MI dental office, you can trust that your children are in good hands.
When you bring your little ones to our office, we go the extra mile to make sure they have fun and see the dentist as a fun place to be. They will get to pick prizes out of our treasure chest, go for a ride in the exam chair, and play with balloons and special glasses. Our goal is to keep your child smiling throughout their visit to our family dentistry.
If your child is under the age of six, you’ll need to stay with them at all times so they feel more comfortable during their time with us. Once your child is over the age of six, they can go back for their exam alone if they want to.
You can trust all members of your family with our staff at Hubbard & Leath Dental!
If you haven’t yet, call Hubbard & Leath Dental to schedule a checkup and dental cleaning for your children, you, or the whole family. Call our Rochester Hills, MI dental office today at (248) 266-2528. You can also contact us online to request an appointment and we will get back to you as soon as possible.